Friday, August 13, 2010

IMMORTAL - The Seventh Date of Blashyrk CD review


IMMORTAL - The Seventh Date of Blashyrk CD
Nuclear Blast Records

Intro: “Welcome to the Seventh Date of Blashyrk. We are IMMORTAL and the Sun No Longer Rises.”
This is my obligatory live dink review. Last year it was one from DEATH ANGEL that came my way under the same circumstances. I get the dink but no DVD, oh well. Secondly the live show is a recording of older material from a year prior but the band has a new release out. The case here is that this is from their performance at Wacken in 2007. Ok sure it’s great especially hearing Abbath asking the audience “How the fuck are you doing so far motherfuckers?” after “Withstand the Fall of Time”. The set list is pretty good with cuts spanning all of the releases from their career, except nothing from Blizzard Beasts obviously. Since I didn’t see IMMORTAL when they last toured I would’ve liked to hear a few of the newer cuts off of 2009’s All Shall Fall. I mean that was a great album and “The Rise of Darkness” would’ve sounded great live along with the title cut. So why didn't they just release something more up to date? Secondly why was the label sitting on this till now? It would seem that maybe 2008 would've been better or maybe 2009 just prior to the release of All Shall Fall. Yeah well I'm not some record executive. I'm just a fan with some common sense.

But even with that it’s still fuckin IMMORTAL live! When “Withstand the Fall of Time” blasts out from my stereo speakers I’m standing up with both my arms up above my head. I’ve got the horned fists saluting and I’m screaming “yeahhhhhhhhh IMMORTAL fuckin rules!” The true sons of northern darkness, yes they perform that cut, on a live dink for you to blast from now till the judeo/christian holiday season. Everyone loves IMMORTAL. If someone puts corpse paint on they use a photo of Abbath for inspiration, I know I did once for Halloween. I was at work at the bar. A customer asked me if I was a ghoul. I told him no I’m Abbath from IMMORTAL, a son of the northern darkness, pure fuckin holocaust motherfucker. I then stuck the horns in the clown’s face (he was dressed as a clown) and walked away.

On this CD they end the show with Blashyrk (Mighty Ravendark) obviously. I consider it one of the best metal songs as well as videos of all time. Yes many people out there scoff but screw you, play your DIMMU BORGIR and be quite. I know if I was in the audience I would’ve been floating a foot above the ground at that point. Yes I love IMMORTAL always have and always will. They’ve never strayed from their original mission to bring about a crisp cold wind down from the mountains to freeze you to your bones.

www.nuclearblast.com

No comments:

Post a Comment