Monday, September 27, 2010

ZOROASTER – Matador CD review


ZOROASTER – Matador CD
E1 Music

ZOROASTER, from Georgia and remember that, are a band who I have missed seeing live even though I’ve been wanting to and they’ve played locally various times. I had a chance in June when they were on the bill with EYEHATEGOD and NACHTMYSTIUM but found out when I got to the club that they cancelled. They just played again in town with NACHTMYSTIUM at a newly reopened hipster club. I missed that show, go figure right. Anyways this is my first chance hearing one of their releases and I’m sure there are some people out there who’ll tell me their older material is better. Well to be honest with ya I sincerely hope it is because after a few listens to this I’m wondering what’s with all the hype? Remember I said they’re from Georgia and I haven’t seen things from that state hyped this much since we had peanut brain Jimmy Carter as president. I’m not saying ZOROASTER or this release is bad. I’m simply wondering if the people who hype them know that music, especially extreme music, existed prior to 2010.

First off I give the three members of ZOROASTER, from Georgia, credit since they’ve obviously spent some time combing through the bins at used record stores for influences. I’m guessing they purchased every obscure (meaning crappy) pseudo psychedelic, hard rock 70’s era record they could find. I’m hearing guitar wankering which sounds like they were plucked straight from those albums. From there they mix in heaping levels of late 90’s Sludge and Stoner Metal which was taken originally from SLEEP and prior to that SABBATH. Once again there’s nothing really wrong with that since it’s a formula that tends to be common when the hipster crowd latches onto certain bands because they’re clueless to past music. To be honest with ya I’d probably like this more if I was locked in a room sitting in a foam chair with the stereo volume high, especially the bass. Secondly there would have to be marijuana smoke pumped in to the point where I’d believe I was sitting in a cloud. Thankfully I’m not nor do I trust or pay much attention to the opinions of people stoned out of their fuckin minds. I’m not about to turn a review into a Narcotics Anonymous meeting in which I describe my past substance use. I will say that no substance has ever made music sound better to me. Matador sounds like a hippie jam band trying to play heavy music but thankfully there are no long jam songs and this ain’t Woodstock. It is more modern day Deliverance as in get up in them woods, take those mushrooms from the bearded men and remember they’re from Georgia. You should know now what to expect from this.

http://www.e1music.us/

No comments:

Post a Comment