Monday, May 17, 2010

MOTORHEAD – The Covers CD review


MOTORHEAD – The Covers CD
Bootleg

This is a bootleg out of the UK (?) with a bunch of songs that Lemmy & co. have covered over the years. Die hard MOTORHEAD fans probably have heard all of these cuts already. I don’t consider myself a die hard MOTORHEAD fan. Yes they are one of the greatest bands of all time but for me personally I’ve always been a fan of their early stuff with Fast Eddie Clarke on guitar. That was the time when I got into the band and after he left I kinda left as well. I’m not saying that the material which followed wasn’t good. I just have my preferences. Now the die hard fans own everything by MOTORHEAD which includes all the reissues but not many Best of Compilations. To die hard fans just throwing on any MOTORHEAD album is a best of compilation.

Lemmy might be the voice of Rock for the past thirty years but in my not so humble opinion some of these cover tunes were not meant for him to sing. It might of been a great idea on paper to cover OZZY’s “Hellraiser” or “Desire” but I think these versions suck. In all honesty OZZY had a few good releases but the bulk of his post Randy Rhoads era music blows. Some other cover song choices on here which make me go WHY? are MAIDEN’s “The Trooper” and PRIEST’s “Breaking the Law”. The goal of any artist who covers someone else’s classic song is to make it their own, play it on their terms and throw a twist or two in it for effect. It doesn’t work with these two but it does work on METALLICA’s “Whiplash”, the SEX PISTOLS’ “God Save the Queen”, and of course the RAMONES. The worse cut on here by far is their version of “Enter Sandman” but their best cut is “Shoot Em Down”.

No Website Address since it’s a bootleg.

No comments:

Post a Comment