Monday, February 1, 2010

IMPETUOUS RITUAL – Relentless Execution of Ceremonial Excrescense CD review


IMPETUOUS RITUAL – Relentless Execution of Ceremonial Excrescense CD
Profound Lore Records

You gotta love a release that comes with an inner sleeve which unfolds into an inverted cross. With that said listening to this is like being lost in the Australian outback with no water but you do have an Ipod that only plays THORR’S HAMMER and BESTIAL WARLUST on shuffle and for substance you’ve ingested their local variety of peyote. What the Hell did I get myself into with this one? Oh yeah I remember now since this act contains two members of the Australian band PORTAL. Obviously those dingo-men hybrids didn’t care for the review I gave their release last December. So now we have this, their side project (?) which they find me wondering around in the outback aimlessly tripping my balls off and proceed to tear me limb from limb like the ravished dingo-men they are. The last words I scream of course are, “More Fuckin Cowbell”.

Whereas I considered PORTAL as overhyped dingo shit, this thing is more in line to what I’d consider greatness in the most sick and twisted of fashions. The music on here is like a huge gaping maw waiting to devour you and a thousand other as of yet unidentified souls. Whatafuck is influencing these Aussie musicians in order to come up with something as insane as this? Its reverb induced Death Metal & Doom which is so fuckin brutal that’ll it will make those bands from South America put the bones back in their noses and go back to living in the fuckin jungles. No wonder the water in their toilets turns to the left because this is the true (TROO?) music of Hell. When their songs creep along its like being dragged across a floor of up turned ten penny nails very slowly. Then it gets worse because when they speed things up its like being shocked by electrical cords ripped from broken lamps and then getting the golden shower treatment. Although not in that specific order of course, trust me I know.

This came out late in 2009 which sucks because it would’ve been at the top of my year end faves which is why I hold out in naming them till the first week of January. But like everyone else in the fucking Metal media we’re getting it now and I’m behind everyone else as usual. Still though Relentless Execution of Ceremonial Excrescense blows everything I thought was great in 2009 outta the way. To me this is a milestone in Extreme Metal which also means you cannot come from behind and try to copy it. If you did then you would obviously look like a buffoon if not a blatant copycat. I also give props to Profound Lore because they are one of the few labels out there in Extreme Music which literally forces people like me to actually listen closely and think about what I write whether I like it or not. In the case of this release by IMPETUOUS RITUAL, I have to get up from the fuckin floor.

www.profoundlorerecords.com

No comments:

Post a Comment