Monday, September 13, 2010

ABADDEN – Sentenced to Death CD review


ABADDEN – Sentenced to Death CD
Rising Records

When I saw that this was the debut release from an English Thrash band my first thought was “is it gonna be ONSLAUGHT or EVILE as far as English Thrash”? One is a fairly decent band and the other is simply shit suitable for buffoons. If you don’t know which is which then you probably like the shit one. As far as ABADDEN goes this is a fairly decent release albeit generic. If you’re expecting originality or experimentation then you’re in the wrong genre. Modern Thrash is like previously chewed gum that you find on the bottom of your shoe. I expect to hear influences as huge and clean as back patches on denim cutoffs to jump out at me. After a few listens I say Sentenced to Death reminds me of the first album by ANTHRAX and the worst album by KREATOR. As far as the latter goes you can take your own pick since they’ve had a few.

The good things going for Sentenced to Death are the vocals. Their singer, Dan Pool, has a raspy style which is more convincing then the usual fake angst or deathcore pussy style. Then there’s the drum work which is simple and not over the top fancy which is what you want from a band like this. I like that their songs are fast blasts that don’t leave any room for flashy moments except for a few neck snapping solos on songs like “Violent Assault” and “Atomic Devastation”. Those two out of the eight are the best cuts on here. The only thing that I noticed about this release which keeps it from the amazing category is that for a young band their sound is not hungry enough. Granted it’s the Thrash Revival and expectations are always going to be mediocre. Since this whole high top sneaker thing came back in vogue I’ve only heard & seen five bands that truly equaled those who have thrashed before. I’m not going to mention who but I’m sure some smart ass with a public school education pending can name three off the top of their bandana wrapped or baseball cap covered head. Hopefully this band’s next release will come off sounding like they’re not just well practiced.

www.risingrecords.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment