Tuesday, September 28, 2010

DIMMU BORGIR – Abrahadabra CD review


DIMMU BORGIR – Abrahadabra CD
Nuclear Blast Records

Over the past couple of years I’ve come to the opinion that the people who hate DIMMU BORGIR are just as insane as the ones who claim the band still plays black metal. Actually hate is putting it mildly considering that the mere mention of DIMMU BORGIR on a black metal forum is equal to shoving a cross in Dracula’s face. As for this band’s defenders, well I see them more as trying to stand at the top of a rickety ladder lecturing everyone else on their own superior tastes. So let’s put it all in a common sense and historical perspective shall we? DIMMU BORGIR started out as a black metal band and their early releases are perfect examples. Then the band started expanding their sound toward a more progressive style relying heavily on the symphonic elements, added clean vocals and orchestrated melodies. Their last release, 2007’s In Sorte Diaboli, saw them trying to consolidate the old with the new ending in the band sounding more like a mainstream shock rock act. Since then the band has gone through some significant changes. As far as those changes, the band is now a three piece (Shagrath, Silenoz and Galder) who’ve enlisted a bunch of session musicians including the Norwegian Radio Orchestra (huge black metal fans) and the Schola Cantorum Choir (in corpse paint).

Their line-up isn’t the only thing that’s changed. Musically DIMMU BORGIR sounds more like a power metal band on this one which I first thought was titled Abracadabra and wondered if a bonus track might be a STEVE MILLER BAND cover. I figured it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch since CRADLE OF FILTH once covered “Devil Woman”. My love and appreciation for power metal is widely known throughout Extreme Metal blog circles. Yeah that’s a joke because the fact is that I don’t mind a little symphonic touches but when it gets full blown then I turn the stuff off. To put it honestly I thought that last BLIND GUARDIAN release had more metal elements than on this one. This is not a release by a metal band but instead is the soundtrack to a Broadway play that I’d walk out of. I say that alot when I’m confronted with certain power metal bands because I hate show tunes.

So what’s not to like on Abrahadabra? First off Shagrath gets to share vocals again on various songs; this time around it’s two women who sound like witch hags (on purpose of course) and session bassist Snowy Shaw from THERION, who sounds like a eunuch. The only thing missing is the fat lady wearing the horned Viking helmet and holding a spear. Next up where’s the metal? That old wall of noise riffage this band was somewhat known for has been severely downplayed and replaced with full on orchestra movements and the choir. What chances Silenoz and Galder have to shine are few. I was wrong this is not a soundtrack to a Broadway play. This is opera and I’d walk out on that as well. Usually when I write my reviews the music I’m writing about is playing on my stereo. Abrahadabra was so annoying that I had to turn it off. Trust me I’m neither a DIMMU hater nor a snot nosed pundit. I’m just a fan of what I like to call Extreme Music. I still consider their Enthroned Darkness Triumphant an essential release and an integral part of the Norwegian Black Metal history. Some people might think I overlooked the grand production value of the orchestrated movements on here. Well look here cookie pusses; this is a CD by a metal band and not Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition, there is a difference. Now excuse me while I go sleep off this bad hangover.

www.nuclearblast.com

No comments:

Post a Comment