Tuesday, March 22, 2011

ROTTEN SOUND - Cursed CD review


ROTTEN SOUND - Cursed CD
Relapse Records
Genre: Grindcore
Rating: 5/5

Two things I need to point out. The first one is that I saw ROTTEN SOUND when they were on that Exhumed To Consume CARCASS Reunion tour in 2008 and was thoroughly blown away by them. I was never overly enthused by Grindcore as a genre unless the bands had some Death Metal as well as Crust influence, without the stupidity, also have the ability to rip your face off with their overall sound. Of the previous releases I've picked up by this band since seeing them, last years Napalm EP, 2008's Cycles and 2005's Exit (they have plenty more that go all the way back to the mid-90s) I can simply say as far as Grindcore goes this band is incredible. This one here, Cursed, is even better than those previous mentioned releases. If I played this loud enough with my windows open then every resident in my neighborhood would be without a face. Believe me some of em could use the change but that's another point entirely.

Cursed is a fast release coming in at under thirty minutes. Also there's a lot of "guests" on here, too many to name of course with one exception. ENTOMBED's LG Petrov adds some guest vocals on two cuts. Trust me you can barely tell since they're both under two minute cuts. Cursed simply starts, beats you to a pulp and then leaves you bloodied on the floor. It's slightly more hyper than what these Finns have done on previous releases I've heard. There's no obvious variety at all. When they do slow down it's still faster than most bands. Once you push play forget doing anything for around a half hour because you'll be held down by the fury. Which brings me to my second point which is the label. I'm glad to see Relapse releasing something which is as extreme as the roots which the label has.


Label: http://www.relapse.com


Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/rottensound


No comments:

Post a Comment