Wednesday, October 5, 2011

NILE - Worship the Animal 1994: The Lost Recordings CD review


NILE - Worship the Animal 1994: The Lost Recordings CD
Goomba Music
Genre: Death Metal
Rating: 3/5

I have a friend who has the original of this on cassette. He got it from Karl Sanders when NILE played with INCANTATION at a local club where he booked the shows and I also worked security. Yes that was a memorable show to say the least. I was so close up front that if I took one step forward I would have stepped on Karl's pedals. To this day I still say my hearing was first damaged at that show. I think I heard this once but it paled in comparison to Amongst The Catacombs of Nephren- Ka which we were blasting at that time. Still it's for all of you collectors out there who must have everything your favorite band has done. This release features the original line-up of Karl on guitars & vocals, bassist/vocalist Chief Spire and Pete Hammoura on drums. It's basically their first demo repackaged on CD. I would think most NILE fans have this in one form, the original cassette, or on a downloaded dink.

For those of you who have not heard this well there's no shocking moments to be found. Yes it would be funny if this was hair metal with songs about King Tut, Cleopatra and the pyramids but no it's still death metal. The music is decent consisting of five cuts. Musically you can hear the beginnings of Karl's fascination with Egyptian themes coming into play. As far as the technical wizardry well that's four years away from when this came about. The vocals are slightly different from what you are use to. The gruff vocals are paired with some cleanly (clean as a death metal band can do that is) sung stuff. In other words you can understand what's being sung without referring to a lyric sheet. You also don't need a degree in anthropology/archeology either to understand everything. But like I said, for collectors only.

Label: http://www.goombamusic.com


No comments:

Post a Comment