SCUMFEAST METAL 666 BLACK METAL FAVORITES 2010
The biggest highlight for me in 2010 was hearing releases that overwhelmed the over-hyped ones. While the push for the genre this year was "post black metal" (aka: not really black metal at all). There were a good number of bands, some new and some past greats, who showed that it's much better to do what you know best. The biggest problem with post black metal is that by covering so much ground you also spread yourself thin. Traditional black metal is called by it's critics stale or lacking in experimentation but the irony is that post black metal has now become an easily copied formula. There will always be a few decent bands performing that style but the greatness of the genre as a whole is all of it's variety. The Scumfeast Metal 666 favorites in Black Metal for 2010 are definitely a variety. Here are the top 10 although it could've been a top 20 with ease.
1. PROFANATICA - Disgusting Blasphemies Against God CD (Hells Headbangers)
Simply put, the most hateful release of 2010. One listen and you'll be covered in black shit.
2. BLASPHEMOPHAGHER - For Chaos, Obscurity and Desolation LP (Nuclear War Now Productions)
The torture artists of the Spanish Inquisition seem tame in comparison. BLASPHEMOPHAGHER’s brand of blackened death grind is not music, its punishment. If you are still sitting in the kindergarten class of brutal (brootal) death metal extremism, it’s time for you to graduate up to this. That’s if you have the tolerance level of course or a good supply of pain meds.
3. BURZUM - Belus CD (Byelobog Productions)
I'd also give Varg a comeback artist of 2010 award because he literally came back from being the most despised man in BM. Belus is musically a return to the ferocious past of Black Metal’s Second Wave but with a more mature and determined composer at the helm.
4. SATANIC WARMASTER - Nachzehrer CD (Werewolf Records/Northern Heritage Records)
A cold and cruel return to form by this Finnish master.
5. SARGEIST - Let the Devil In CD (Moribund Records)
Colder than a well digger's ass in the Arctic.
6. ENTHRONED - Pentagrammaton CD (Regain Records)
Second Wave era black metal with a thick sound that’s relentless and performed by an old master. Underated by the elite but loved here.
7. KERASPHORUS - Cloven Hooves at the Holocaust Dawn 12" EP (Nuclear War Now Productions)
I really get off on hateful music so this four song hate-fest was pure unadulterated joy to my black heart.
8. NACHTMYSTIUM - Addicts: Black Meddle Part Two CD (Century Media)
Blackened Punk, Blackened Garage, Blackened Psych! Call em a hipster band and you'll get Blackened Eyes.
9. SIGH - Scenes From Hell CD (The End Records)
Blackened Thrash meets avant garde symphonic metal. After four listens you'll get it.
10. TERATISM - Via Negativa CD (Negativity Records)
USBM done right.