Tuesday, January 18, 2011

STRATOVARIUS - Elysium CD review


STRATOVARIUS - Elysium CD
Edel/EarMusic
Genre: Power Metal
Rating: 2/5

I must admit that the only things I knew about STRATOVARIUS before tackling this review were that they're from Finland, play power metal and once had a diva like guitarist Timo Tolkki who left them a few years ago. In the past I've simply written off the lion's share of this genre feeling it was not worth writing about because of my lack of fan appreciation. Although I did say last year that I needed to write about these power metal releases with less denigration. So here I go once more into the breech. After a couple of listens I'm of the opinion that this reminds me of a metal version of STYX. I hate STYX. Secondly their vocalist sounds a little like Bruce Dickenson who I feel needs to go away for an extended period of time. Bruce that is, this guy Timo can stay. Third, there's too many ballad type songs on here. I've read that they're on tour with HELLOWEEN. They would be more at home sharing a bill with the reunited EUROPE. Oh well I'm simply not a fan.

Label: http://www.edel.com/


Myspace: http://myspace.com/officialstratovarius


No comments:

Post a Comment