Sunday, December 4, 2011

FORTERESSE - Crépuscule d’Octobre CD review


FORTERESSE - Crépuscule d’Octobre CD
Sepulchral Productions
Genre: Black Metal
Rating: 4/5

Although I can't say my knowledge of French Canadian black metal acts is up to speed I have heard of this band. I even did a quick check through my CDs since black metal acts with band names starting with 'F' are fairly thin (yes I do keep my black metal CDs in alphabetical order, don't laugh I use to keep em separated by country before). As it turns out I have this band's debut Metal Noir Quebecois release or in English, Quebec Black Metal, which came out back in 2006 also on Sepulchral Productions. This one here is their fourth full length which doesn't mean I didn't like their first one. On the contrary I liked it a lot but you know how it is sometimes you don't pick up everything from a band or you miss a release. So upon listening to their latest I can see not too much has changed and that's a good thing. FORTERESSE are what you would call nationalists in that they want to see Quebec sovereignty from Canada. Whatever you do don't refer to them as Canadian since they consider themselves Quebecois.

They're not the only black metal band from Quebec who feels the same about that but FORTERESSE keep it a running theme in their music. When I said not too much has changed that refers to the band's previous material which was slightly more ambient. As far as their sound on here goes the band has that early second wave BM style heavy on the tremolo picking, aggressive tempos that are standard in style and of course harsh vocals as well as some added spoken word parts that are slighting behind the music. The key is always to project a menacing atmosphere and on here it's perfect. FORTERESSE have a hypnotic sound whether it's ambient drone or pushing the limits of a riff for ten minutes much like early BURZUM, albeit with better recording equipment but not by much. Their songs are long journeys utilizing beauty of minimalism. You can imagine yourself being carried away on a wind gliding across the land. This is also something that DRUDKH was doing earlier in their creative career. Crépuscule d’Octobre is a dark beauty wrapped in patriotism and ambiance.

Label: http://www.sepulchralproductions.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment