Thursday, December 15, 2011

VORE - Gravehammer CD review


VORE - Gravehammer CD
Self Released
Genre: Death Metal
Rating: 3/5

I was at this local death metal fest once when a friend came up to me at the middle of it all and said he was leaving. I asked why he was taking off and his reason was that he could only handle so much of the same thing. In other words he was saying that he could only take so fuckin much of average sounding death metal bands who all sound the same. I also didn't stay for all seven bands that night. I left after the sixth. So I do understand that too much of one thing can get boring after a while even if it's decent. Take this band for example. VORE hails from Arkansas, a place I once spent six months in a decade ago. I don't want to drudge up all those horrible memories of the place or the things I saw there. Let's just say that a death metal act coming from there is not a stretch of the imagination for me. What is hard to fathom is that GORE have been around since the mid nineties yet have only put out a handful of releases. Their last official full length came out in 2005. So the release of Gravehammer coincides with the revival of OSDM (Old School Death Metal) over the past few years.

I won't go as far to say that VORE or Gravehammer is a bad release on the contrary it's good. But it's like listening to a bunch of old Florida death metal band releases (not the classics either I'm talking about the ones which came out later) over and over again. VORE sound like the opening band at a CANNIBAL CORPSE and DEICIDE bill. Yeah they're good but you came to see someone else. I'll give them credit for at least not going all Swedish or INCANTATION / AUTOPSY on ya which has been the menu choice for the whole OSDM revival. VORE have probably been playing this style of DM since they reared their ugly heads out of the Arkansas woods years ago. But then it's still like scratching a chigger bite.

Official: http://www.vore.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment