Tuesday, February 7, 2012

MASSIVE ASSAULT - Death Strike CD review


MASSIVE ASSAULT - Death Strike CD

FDA Rekotz

Genre: Death Metal


For all of you people waiting impatiently for that new ASPHYX release to come out (myself included) here's their children. MASSIVE ASSAULT is a Dutch death metal act who started out around a decade ago then released their debut full length Dystopian Prophecies in 2009. Here's their follow-up and it looks (and sounds of course) to me like they're still looking forward to a negative version of utopia. Personally I think their song titles read like a description of my first marriage and that was in the past. Be that as it may MASSIVE ASSAULT are OSDM (old school death metal) by the book with a heaping amount of the crust layered throughout. Of course that means part of their sound will remind people of a pissed off nest of hornets. That's what happens when your act is forged in the good ol' Scandinavian tradition.


MASSIVE ASSAULT are not only painting within the numbers on Death Strike but there's not one new page in the book. Sure their sound is thick with mid-paced cuts heavy with the typical inhuman grooves. Hey look I like that. The vocals are guttural to the point where their singer must swallow a bucket of coal oil to get the right tempo. Again that sounds cool to me. The one problem I have with this release is that the band is focusing more on sounding like a tribute act instead of an original band. I understand there's a thin line between the two when you're deliberately doing something done a hundred times over. I don't remember how many new OSDM type band releases I listened to last year but there were quite a few that crossed the line by adding themselves to the whole revival. That's the key which this band doesn't have yet. Sure they're good, at playing someone else's music.

RATING: 3/5


Label: http://www.fda-rekotz.com/gx/



Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/massiveassault


No comments:

Post a Comment